Skip to main content

Squid 3: The Reckoning


I made another squid. I'm sort of wishing I hadn't, because these things are a bastard to do (although hopefully now I've made a couple of pattern modifications, future ones might not be)

This was a commission for a friend of a friend as a present for his wife, so the first drama was working out what to charge (I didn't want it to be too cheap because that devalues the work of other people, but at the same time, I didn't want to over charge); in the end we agreed on £40 + fabric.



The fleece is from Calico Laine, who were excellent when I rang them about 15 minutes before they closed on a Saturday because for some reason their website doesn't have a button to order a sample of their red fleece. I'd ordered samples from them and Minerva, because I had a sneaking suspicion that both stores were selling the same colour (although the Minerva orange was up on the website as a paler peach colour, and that was what had been requested). Turns out I was right (another case of the dodgy photography on Minerva at times) but thankfully the brighter orange was acceptable.

It was cut without hassle, and then I confess it sat in a dishwasher tablet tub for about 3 weeks because I got distracted by other projects. (I had been given about 3 months to get it made, so it wasn't a massive hurry)

Squid in a tub!
The tentacles, as ever, were a pain in the backside, the first pair I made wouldn't even turn right side out at the narrowest point, so I ended up cutting a second pair with an extra half an inch on them. They don't have quite the same definition on them, but they turned and were stuffable without issue.
I spent a pleasant evening stuffing them and watching TV.


The fins are a pain only in as much as you stuff them and then stitch them closed, which is a bit fiddly.
The other issue I had was that once again I ended up with the contrast colour of the tentacles facing out. This is an issue with the way I read and understand the instructions, and so I've changed the instructions.
I unpicked the tentacles and redid them correctly, attached the two main parts together, and then took it to work for a couple of days while I hand stitched the tentacles neatly down.

Super neat tentacles


Then I ladder stitched the plug piece in, and sewed the eyes on, and voila. Squid three was done.

Squid auditioning for a role in Evangelion

I meant to pose it at my desk, but lunch break is never long enough


Squid in a bag!
People at work were muchly impressed, and it was handed over on Friday to much joy. And facebook pictures of it eating the cat's brains.

I'm not doing another of these any time soon. And my sewing machine badly needs a service now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Some random things

    So I'm currently faffing around at work, waiting for a meeting that might not happen and trying no to go mad with the current project I'm working on (pro tip: don't make the English graduate computerise the electrical drawings. bad things happen) My pretty fabric for my post xmas present sewing showed up at work on Friday (when I was off doing xmas shopping in MK) so I didn't get it until today. It's so pretty! And I managed some impressive colour matching given I was working on my not very well calibrated work monitor! This is going to be tucked away until I'm done, so I'm not tempted before I'm done with presents.   I posted the other night about how much I love my seam ripper (there was an issue with squid, which will be covered in a post later when I can get all the photos in the right order, so, when I get home) and someone asked what it was, so I took this to illustrate the point. It sees a fair amount of use, and this weekend

Finish-a-long Quarter 2

Life, being what it is, I never signed up for Quarter 1. I didn't have a huge number of projects on the go, and I was not in a great place. But things are looking up now. And up, and up, if you're looking at the stack of unfinished projects, so without further ago, I present the list of stuff I would like to finish this quarter...

Xmas present 3 - the squid

 This was the big one. The one that was going to the person whose opinion as a crafter I care about, and a person who has had a bit of a rough year. Thankfully, by some miracle, it all came together, although this was NOT without disasters.