Skip to main content

Squid 3: The Reckoning


I made another squid. I'm sort of wishing I hadn't, because these things are a bastard to do (although hopefully now I've made a couple of pattern modifications, future ones might not be)

This was a commission for a friend of a friend as a present for his wife, so the first drama was working out what to charge (I didn't want it to be too cheap because that devalues the work of other people, but at the same time, I didn't want to over charge); in the end we agreed on £40 + fabric.



The fleece is from Calico Laine, who were excellent when I rang them about 15 minutes before they closed on a Saturday because for some reason their website doesn't have a button to order a sample of their red fleece. I'd ordered samples from them and Minerva, because I had a sneaking suspicion that both stores were selling the same colour (although the Minerva orange was up on the website as a paler peach colour, and that was what had been requested). Turns out I was right (another case of the dodgy photography on Minerva at times) but thankfully the brighter orange was acceptable.

It was cut without hassle, and then I confess it sat in a dishwasher tablet tub for about 3 weeks because I got distracted by other projects. (I had been given about 3 months to get it made, so it wasn't a massive hurry)

Squid in a tub!
The tentacles, as ever, were a pain in the backside, the first pair I made wouldn't even turn right side out at the narrowest point, so I ended up cutting a second pair with an extra half an inch on them. They don't have quite the same definition on them, but they turned and were stuffable without issue.
I spent a pleasant evening stuffing them and watching TV.


The fins are a pain only in as much as you stuff them and then stitch them closed, which is a bit fiddly.
The other issue I had was that once again I ended up with the contrast colour of the tentacles facing out. This is an issue with the way I read and understand the instructions, and so I've changed the instructions.
I unpicked the tentacles and redid them correctly, attached the two main parts together, and then took it to work for a couple of days while I hand stitched the tentacles neatly down.

Super neat tentacles


Then I ladder stitched the plug piece in, and sewed the eyes on, and voila. Squid three was done.

Squid auditioning for a role in Evangelion

I meant to pose it at my desk, but lunch break is never long enough


Squid in a bag!
People at work were muchly impressed, and it was handed over on Friday to much joy. And facebook pictures of it eating the cat's brains.

I'm not doing another of these any time soon. And my sewing machine badly needs a service now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finished Object - Nudibranch Madness

There is no nudity in this post! Just sea slug awesomeness :D

My first finish for the second quarter of the 2017 Finish-A-Long is my Nudibranch March Mini Madness shawl.

Found here on Ravelry, this was an excellently quick and brainless knit, which I've managed to make obscenely colourful thanks to Mothy and the Squid's excellent nudibranch colourways. I'm trying to make an effort to have a bit more colour in my outfits, and this will brighten up anything I wear!


It has a slight curvature where I bodged the tension adding the second mini skein of yarn, which I also added too early, but otherwise, a pleasing, lazy knit for lunchbreaks and evenings watching TV.
I've been knitting a lot more recently; my sewing room is a mess and getting home in the evenings I just want to flake in front of trashy tv and not think too hard, rather than work around the piles of stuff lying around upstairs.

I've spent a chunk of this bank holiday weekend trying to tidy up, with varying …

Finish Along- Quarter 4

I had one whole finish in Quarter 3. It turns out walking 5 miles every day for 3 months (and extra on weekends) really takes a lot of time and energy.
I made progress on things, but I also had a couple of swaps on the go, and ended up working on random bits and pieces. I also opened up BlueberryBits on etsy, which desperately needs more stock!

I might add photos later, but I'm busy as fuck at the moment with work, so err, it's just a list...

1. Star Wars zip up tray pouch - oh my god I will do this! I swear! I mean I'll probably sell it, but I swear I will!
2. Teal ponte cardigan - it's been moved downstairs so I can actually cut it out.
3. Makers Tote - this is going to be an xmas gift so I REALLY need to get on with it!
4. Pink sparrow Heidi clutch - this is going on etsy, I just need to finish the bloody thing!
5. Hitchhiker take 2 - this is nearly done. It's just been shoved somewhere.
6. Unicorn embroidery pouch - this is pissing me off as the design has rubb…

Finished Object(s): Fold Up Sewing Folios

I have a desperate need for things to be FINISHED. It's a problem. My mental health is shite at the moment thanks to work, which means I'm exhausted by the time I get home, which means I have no time to make things. It's a cycle. The less I make the worse I feel, the more work gets to me.
I took a day yesterday, called in sick and knitted, finished a shawl. Felt better for it and picked up the next half finished thing.

I'm ignoring the pile of sewing that needs doing for a shop update.

On my FAL 2018 post, there is an entry for a Fold Up Sewing Folio by Aneela Hoey. It's got some gorgeous big floral fabric and some grey essex linen.
This is that project, but I decided I didn't like the essex linen and bought something else instead.


I adore this pattern. I really really do.