Thankfully, by some miracle, it all came together, although this was NOT without disasters.
I bought the material for this back in August time. The fleece is a shade of purple from Calico Laine (after a couple of samples pointed out that the shade I thought I wanted was actually far closer to blue than purple) and the quilting cotton came from Threads and Patches in Fenny Stratford, and was bought with the approval of the recipient (we went on a fabric shopping and charity shop raiding day... I have a car, it's amazing how popular that can make you).
I got the quilting cotton cut fairly quickly, but the fleece was a 3 meter piece (I only used about half of that, possibly slightly less, but it was cheap and I'll use it for other stuff) and required the paste table in order to have enough room, so it had to wait. Until about late October. Not my best plan.
It all got cut out, and then I discovered that I'd done something weird when I cut the cotton compared to when I cut the fleece, and the fleece pieces were about 5mm larger than the cotton. This made sewing them together an interesting experience of holding and pinning and trying not to get my fingers caught in the machine.
Turning the long tentacles is always a pain in the backside on these, and the quilting cotton turned out to not have anywhere near the stretch of the fleece. Consequently, by the time it came to stuff them, the seams were having none of it, and the cotton split all over the place.
This meant that I had to recut the long tentacles all in fleece, which thankfully proved much easier to turn and stuff. Hurrah!
THEN I realised they were all on the wrong way round.
Cue a lot of being massively pissed off and trying to work out if it would be possible to stitch them so they faced the right way (it wouldn't) and then if it would be possible to take them all off and re-stitch them. I wasn't fond of this plan; that was a layer of machine stitching and a layer of hand stitching, and the fleece was prone to ripping when stitches were removed. I tried to work out if I would be happy handing it over with such a glaring mistake; I knew I wouldn't, but barring ripping the tentacles off, or starting from scratch, I didn't see a way through. I put it down for the evening, poked some other stuff, stuffed the body and then changed my mind and went to town with the seam ripper.
I got lucky (and I am practiced with a seam ripper).
There were no major tears, and only the short tentacles had to be removed. Sadly there was no way I could get it back in the machine at this point, so it all had to be hand stitched. There went that Sunday morning.
And there you have it. A squid. It was incredibly well received, and is probably now a bit tipsy, as it's new owner spilled rum and fanta on it at new year (but it was hastily mopped up)