Skip to main content

Finish-a-long Quarter 2

Life, being what it is, I never signed up for Quarter 1. I didn't have a huge number of projects on the go, and I was not in a great place.

But things are looking up now. And up, and up, if you're looking at the stack of unfinished projects, so without further ago, I present the list of stuff I would like to finish this quarter...


This comes with the caveat that we're moving into LARP season, and there are a couple of other lifey things that might get in the way of craftiness...

I sat and made the following list while at work yesterday, and then, when I went home and tried to photograph everything, I realised I'd missed a bunch of stuff off.
This list also doesn't include the SeaMonsterMiniSwap that I haven't even STARTED to think about, the AT-AT quilt I want to make, or any of the other half baked ideas floating round my head. Or the pile of flying geese blocks that I keep saying I will turn into something.



1. March Madness Knitalong.
I know it's not March anymore, but the deadline is April 15th, and I think I can at least manage this! I'm almost ready to add the final miniskein, and then it's plain sailing. I love this, and I can't wait to see it blocked, and get the chance to wear it.

2. Maythe4thMQS2 mini.
This is due to be posted April 20th (ish) so I've got a bit of time. I just need to finish piecing Chewie, and then put it all together. I know what I'm using for backing and binding, not sure about how I'm going to quilt it. Something simple, methinks. I'm really in to dense straightline quilting at the moment, but we'll see.

3. Maythe4thMQS2 pouch
Extra for the quilt swap. I'm going to use Aneela Hoey's zip up tray pattern, and I'm thinking I might use a paper pieced piece for the inner to make it a bit more interesting. This fabric is also going to be the backing for the quilt (I have more than enough) and I think I have some leftover from another project in another colourway.

4. Pincushions.
I've got a bunch of small paper pieced blocks that I need to do something with, and I don't really want to make a MILLION cushion covers. So I figure they'll work quite well as pincushions. Somehow I've never made a pincushion in my life, and I'm not entirely sure what's best to use as filling. Suggestions welcome.
I was also considering making oven gloves using the pi blocks, but knowing what state my oven gloves end up in, I'm not sure I could bear it!

5. Teal ponte cardigan
Oh my god, garment sewing! I haven't done any of this since I made a dress for LARP last year! I've had this pattern cut for months, I have all the bits I need, I'm just terrified of sewing it. I've never sewn with a knit fabric before, and even though this is really stable ponte, I'm terrified.
Pattern is the Heidi hoody from Style Arc, which is so perfect; it has deep pockets AND a hood! What more could a girl ask for.
Ponte is a gorgeous dark teal I got from Plush Addict ages ago, which has not photographed well at all.

6. Makers Tote
I've been umming and ahhing over what to do with this bat FPP block I made for a while, and after pondering a needle case for knitting needles, I think it would make a better Makers Tote.
I have everything I need (apart from possibly a zip in the right colour, and I might be short some interfacing) and I love the pattern.
Again, it's just a slight fear of fucking it up...

7. Kitty Sampler Quilt.
I know I'm not going to finish this this quarter, but I'd at least like to make a dent in it. I started making the blocks as preparation for teaching a friend the basics of quilting, and kind of kept on going. The pattern is for 25 blocks, but as I already have a couple of duplicates, I'm going for 36. Assuming I have enough fabric, as most of it is now out of print, or at least a pain in the arse to get hold of.

8. Pink sparrow Heidi clutch
This has been sitting, cut and interfaced, for WAY TOO LONG. The only thing I need to do is find a new second hand jacket to cut up, as the leather I was going to use as the accents is a bit grim (I think it was once LARP armour and it smells a bit)
This is seriously a case of just needing to sit down and sew. I can make these in an evening quite easily.

9. Hitchhiker take 2
This has been on pause while I work on my March Madness knit along, but I love this pattern and this yarn too much, so once the KAL is done, I'll be back on with this.

10. Unicorn dice pouch
I started the embroidery for this back in November, I just got distracted, and I have to be in a very specific mood for embroidery. That said, my current dice pouch is dying, so I should probably get a move on.

11. Red Panda quilt
This is another one I don't expect to finish. My best friend is hitting a landmark birthday this year, and is also possibly moving quite a long way away. Plus he loves red pandas and is always cold. This is going to be a super simple economy block quilt, so I'm hoping I can stretch out the fabric I have to be big enough, because again, this stuff is getting hard to find over here.

12. Death star cushion cover
I've had this sitting around since last year, when I made two blocks for the may the 4th swap, but only needed one. I'm gonna turn it into a cushion cover so I can throw a Death Star at people when they annoy me.

13. HST cushion cover
These are the leftover half square triangles from the Quilts for Pulse blocks I made last year, and I've been saying I'm going to quilt them into a cushion cover for ages. I got as far as piecing them together, and then got distracted (seeing a pattern here?)

14. Wall hanging quilt
This wasn't on the list, but is something I've been working on the design for for a couple of weeks now. Back at my old house, mum had painted a design on the wall, that for whatever reason, I really miss. The wall is now bare and re-painted, but I took some photos and have, I think, worked out the design, and bought a bunch of fabric. This isn't a high priority, but I would like to get it done at some point this year.

15. Meeple cushions
I've finished one of these, but the rest of the set have been languishing, and they're taking up space (and the recipient would, I suspect, like the rest of them)


And this is of course not including the inevitable knitting projects and random blocks that get started because I can...
I'm kind of hoping that this is a kick in the backside to get some of these done, but not to the level of obsessing over them. Also a kick to get me to start blogging a bit more.

Comments

9658 Textiles said…
What is a meeple? I am curious and would love to see a post on it! you have a lot on the go lady. It also looks like you are pretty talented!

Sarah
Beth said…
Sarah! Thank you, I like to keep myself busy :D
A meeple is a game piece from a boardgame called Carcasonne; they're like little fat people shapes. Once I've finished the batch I will definitely be blogging them. They're pretty simply, the main annoyance is matching the pieces together.
Sarah said…
Lots of great inspiring projects to give you plenty of choices in your stitching time this quarter. Thank you for linking up to FAL.

Popular posts from this blog

Some random things

    So I'm currently faffing around at work, waiting for a meeting that might not happen and trying no to go mad with the current project I'm working on (pro tip: don't make the English graduate computerise the electrical drawings. bad things happen) My pretty fabric for my post xmas present sewing showed up at work on Friday (when I was off doing xmas shopping in MK) so I didn't get it until today. It's so pretty! And I managed some impressive colour matching given I was working on my not very well calibrated work monitor! This is going to be tucked away until I'm done, so I'm not tempted before I'm done with presents.   I posted the other night about how much I love my seam ripper (there was an issue with squid, which will be covered in a post later when I can get all the photos in the right order, so, when I get home) and someone asked what it was, so I took this to illustrate the point. It sees a fair amount of use, and this weekend

Finished Object - Nudibranch Madness

There is no nudity in this post! Just sea slug awesomeness :D My first finish for the second quarter of the 2017 Finish-A-Long is my Nudibranch March Mini Madness shawl. Found here on Ravelry , this was an excellently quick and brainless knit, which I've managed to make obscenely colourful thanks to Mothy and the Squid's excellent nudibranch colourways. I'm trying to make an effort to have a bit more colour in my outfits, and this will brighten up anything I wear! It has a slight curvature where I bodged the tension adding the second mini skein of yarn, which I also added too early, but otherwise, a pleasing, lazy knit for lunchbreaks and evenings watching TV. I've been knitting a lot more recently; my sewing room is a mess and getting home in the evenings I just want to flake in front of trashy tv and not think too hard, rather than work around the piles of stuff lying around upstairs. I've spent a chunk of this bank holiday weekend trying to tidy up,

Finished Object: Triple Pouch

Good morning! The sun is shining and I know full well the weather is going to turn again this weekend, because it's England, but stuff it, I shall rejoice in the sun, however brief it is! This is actually a Finish Along Finish! Bet you thought there wouldn't be any of those! (I wasn't sure...) This is the Triple Pouch from Aneela Hoey's Stitched Sewing Organisers book. And it's terrifying! But it looks really cool.