Skip to main content

Crazy Dog Lady Polly

There's a certain amount of irony in the title, as Polly was the name of my gran's dog hating cat. But only a small amount.
I am a crazy dog lady, or I would be if I had the time to have a dog. I grew up with dogs, my birth was announced in the local paper as "a chum for Holly", and Holly licked chocolate pudding off my face and tolerated me trying to ride her round the house when I was very small. Then came Roxy, who wasn't my dad's dog (despite my dad being his favourite) who we weren't supposed to get, who peed in everyone's shoes and who had us (me) chasing over walls at 2am because he'd spotted a cat. Roxy who when my dad got re-married and moved out, went with him (I got the house).
Sadly both are now long dead, and while I miss them massively, I know I'm out of the house far too much to responsibly have a dog. That doesn't stop me fussing every dog I meet up the woods (that lets me) and doesn't stop me searching out novelty dog fabric when the #crazydogladysewing challenge was announced. (I didn't have any pinned on pinterest, honestly).

This is the first of hopefully two projects, but I'm not convinced I'm going to get the second one done, as I have a shedload of proofing and planning to do for the upcoming LARP season, and I really need to finish squid #3 (which is pissing me off at the moment).


There's not really a lot to say about this make. Same pattern sizing as the previous Polly I made, with some accidental bust darts thanks to me sucking at the ease around the curve of the front panel. Thankfully they're about in the same place on each side, and thankfully they seem to have stopped the slight arm hole gaping that the previous make had. I am more and more convinced that I need to take a little bit out of the width; the shoulders are falling off my shoulders if I'm not careful. 

The uber cute scottie fabric is from Simply Solids, and was a remnant that I snapped up while perusing the internet at work just after the challenge was announced. The grey cotton is from Minerva, and is the source of the fabric woe irritations from the last couple of posts.  

The other thing I'm aiming to make is an Alder skirt using this print for the pocket panels. The pattern is cut, I just need to cut the fabric, and I'm hoping I've cut the right size (working from measurements and a couple of comments that it comes out fairly roomy, I've gone for an 18. We shall see).


Carlee McTavish said…
Really hoping you get the skirt done too. That print is too cute! Polly top looks great though :)

Popular posts from this blog

Finished Object - Nudibranch Madness

There is no nudity in this post! Just sea slug awesomeness :D

My first finish for the second quarter of the 2017 Finish-A-Long is my Nudibranch March Mini Madness shawl.

Found here on Ravelry, this was an excellently quick and brainless knit, which I've managed to make obscenely colourful thanks to Mothy and the Squid's excellent nudibranch colourways. I'm trying to make an effort to have a bit more colour in my outfits, and this will brighten up anything I wear!

It has a slight curvature where I bodged the tension adding the second mini skein of yarn, which I also added too early, but otherwise, a pleasing, lazy knit for lunchbreaks and evenings watching TV.
I've been knitting a lot more recently; my sewing room is a mess and getting home in the evenings I just want to flake in front of trashy tv and not think too hard, rather than work around the piles of stuff lying around upstairs.

I've spent a chunk of this bank holiday weekend trying to tidy up, with varying …

Finish Along- Quarter 4

I had one whole finish in Quarter 3. It turns out walking 5 miles every day for 3 months (and extra on weekends) really takes a lot of time and energy.
I made progress on things, but I also had a couple of swaps on the go, and ended up working on random bits and pieces. I also opened up BlueberryBits on etsy, which desperately needs more stock!

I might add photos later, but I'm busy as fuck at the moment with work, so err, it's just a list...

1. Star Wars zip up tray pouch - oh my god I will do this! I swear! I mean I'll probably sell it, but I swear I will!
2. Teal ponte cardigan - it's been moved downstairs so I can actually cut it out.
3. Makers Tote - this is going to be an xmas gift so I REALLY need to get on with it!
4. Pink sparrow Heidi clutch - this is going on etsy, I just need to finish the bloody thing!
5. Hitchhiker take 2 - this is nearly done. It's just been shoved somewhere.
6. Unicorn embroidery pouch - this is pissing me off as the design has rubb…

Finished Object(s): Fold Up Sewing Folios

I have a desperate need for things to be FINISHED. It's a problem. My mental health is shite at the moment thanks to work, which means I'm exhausted by the time I get home, which means I have no time to make things. It's a cycle. The less I make the worse I feel, the more work gets to me.
I took a day yesterday, called in sick and knitted, finished a shawl. Felt better for it and picked up the next half finished thing.

I'm ignoring the pile of sewing that needs doing for a shop update.

On my FAL 2018 post, there is an entry for a Fold Up Sewing Folio by Aneela Hoey. It's got some gorgeous big floral fabric and some grey essex linen.
This is that project, but I decided I didn't like the essex linen and bought something else instead.

I adore this pattern. I really really do.