Skip to main content

SNCA Feathers


More stuff! This was a swap quilt, which I was obscenely proud of, and which went down well with its recipient!
If you're coming here from IG, you probably know about the #saturdaynightcraftalong, in which everyone gets together in the tag and posts what they're doing on a saturday evening, and cheerleads each other and drools over other people's projects. It's good, laid back crafty fun, and at the tail end of last year, the organisers of the tag set up a swap.






My partner asked for blues and terracotta, and a couple of her suggestions on her mosaic made me think of feathers. It was like a match made in heaven!
I love this pattern by Quietplay; it's the simplified version of her feather paper piecing pattern, but it lends itself to scrappy so well! I went through the stash and pulled out all of my blues (I had a lot) and found some Kona Spice which reads to me as terracotta. The background is an Alison Glass print, which wasn't my original choice, but it worked so perfectly with the birds and the little gusts of wind!

When it came to layout, I knew I wanted to do something other than just three feathers in a row, and after a bit of playing around, I came up with the idea of the feathers falling from the sky.


Great idea, nothing complicated about that... oh, fuck. Y-seams. They are my bane. I know how to do them. I did a million of them when piecing Caroline's quilt a couple of years ago, but these ones were at weird angles.
I'm sure someone smarter than me probably could have done this without all the extra bodged piecing and y-seams, but I was working with a finite amount of fabric, and a size requirement!

It actually came out ok, with minimal fabric wastage, and hey, I can always use more scraps!

I backed it with Kona (don't ask what shade, I can't remember) and bound it in more of the Kona Spice.

For quilting I went with 'organic' matchstick. My free motion quilting is not up to scratch for something like this, so I went with something simple.

I also slipped in a set of Aneela Hoey's Fold Up Pouches made with some of my long hoarded Echino stags. I love it, and I only bought fat quarters of each colour (originally to make cushions) but my partner was a fan, and hey, better to be used than gather dust!

This project used up, and generated a load of scraps. There's Dashwood, Amy Sinibaldi, Kate Spain, Alison Glass and a couple of other fabrics that I got in scrap bags in there! You might guess from this that I use a lot of blues!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Some random things

    So I'm currently faffing around at work, waiting for a meeting that might not happen and trying no to go mad with the current project I'm working on (pro tip: don't make the English graduate computerise the electrical drawings. bad things happen) My pretty fabric for my post xmas present sewing showed up at work on Friday (when I was off doing xmas shopping in MK) so I didn't get it until today. It's so pretty! And I managed some impressive colour matching given I was working on my not very well calibrated work monitor! This is going to be tucked away until I'm done, so I'm not tempted before I'm done with presents.   I posted the other night about how much I love my seam ripper (there was an issue with squid, which will be covered in a post later when I can get all the photos in the right order, so, when I get home) and someone asked what it was, so I took this to illustrate the point. It sees a fair amount of use, and this weekend

Finish-a-long Quarter 2

Life, being what it is, I never signed up for Quarter 1. I didn't have a huge number of projects on the go, and I was not in a great place. But things are looking up now. And up, and up, if you're looking at the stack of unfinished projects, so without further ago, I present the list of stuff I would like to finish this quarter...

Xmas present 3 - the squid

 This was the big one. The one that was going to the person whose opinion as a crafter I care about, and a person who has had a bit of a rough year. Thankfully, by some miracle, it all came together, although this was NOT without disasters.