Skip to main content

Finished Object: The Fabulous Hitchhiker

It's another Finish Along quarter 1 finish! And it's a knitted thing that has been on my list to finish for fucking ever!
It's a Hitchhiker :D Despite what some people I know might think, this is only the second one of these I've made. But it's a good pattern, and as someone addicted to pretty sock yarn but who hates wearing socks, pretty shawls like this are the way forwards!


So despite the fact that this has taken me about a year to knit, it's a ridiculously simple pattern in yarn that I adore.



It's been back and forth to work with me (in fact it was started in the car on the way to a work meeting in Derby), it's been to many gaming nights, and it's been to a plot meeting in the gorgeous Peak District where we almost got snowed in!

It's got a couple of mistakes; there's a weird loop where it looks like I managed to loop the yarn round some live stitches at some point, there are a couple of teeth that I think are 2 rows too big, and there's one tooth that is twice the size it should be, which means that this is technically a 43 tooth Hitchhiker, and also that it's got a really cool bit of colour pooling about two thirds up.




I did play some serious yarn chicken with this. I'd bought a full skein and 2 mini skeins, because I'm bad at working out how much I'd need, and when I knitted my first one, I used what I think is actually sport weight, or very light DK, so I used more than the pattern called for.
As it was, you can see the progression from just starting the final tooth, to how much I had left for the cast off, to what I was left with in the end. I was pretty impressed!
This was finished on a much needed "fuck this, my mental health trumps turning up to work and wanting to bash my head against my desk" call in sick day, which I can now pretty much never get away with again because the understanding manager has now left.


I didn't block it, because I'm lazy and like instant gratification once something is off the needles. Plus with this pattern, I don't think it really does much. If and when I do another, I'll probably do one of the eyelet modifications, so I will block that. But that won't be for a while.



Hanging on the hanger that lives on my living room door solely for the purpose of draping finished shawls!


And delightfully modelled by yours truly, at her desk, looking like she'd rather be anywhere else in the world.

And that's it for now. I'm valiantly trying to get a couple more projects done for the end of March. I know it's March 31st now, but I still have 7.5 hours left!

Comments

DawnyK said…
Great Hitchhiker! Looks great on you.

Popular posts from this blog

Some random things

    So I'm currently faffing around at work, waiting for a meeting that might not happen and trying no to go mad with the current project I'm working on (pro tip: don't make the English graduate computerise the electrical drawings. bad things happen) My pretty fabric for my post xmas present sewing showed up at work on Friday (when I was off doing xmas shopping in MK) so I didn't get it until today. It's so pretty! And I managed some impressive colour matching given I was working on my not very well calibrated work monitor! This is going to be tucked away until I'm done, so I'm not tempted before I'm done with presents.   I posted the other night about how much I love my seam ripper (there was an issue with squid, which will be covered in a post later when I can get all the photos in the right order, so, when I get home) and someone asked what it was, so I took this to illustrate the point. It sees a fair amount of use, and this weekend

Finished Object - Nudibranch Madness

There is no nudity in this post! Just sea slug awesomeness :D My first finish for the second quarter of the 2017 Finish-A-Long is my Nudibranch March Mini Madness shawl. Found here on Ravelry , this was an excellently quick and brainless knit, which I've managed to make obscenely colourful thanks to Mothy and the Squid's excellent nudibranch colourways. I'm trying to make an effort to have a bit more colour in my outfits, and this will brighten up anything I wear! It has a slight curvature where I bodged the tension adding the second mini skein of yarn, which I also added too early, but otherwise, a pleasing, lazy knit for lunchbreaks and evenings watching TV. I've been knitting a lot more recently; my sewing room is a mess and getting home in the evenings I just want to flake in front of trashy tv and not think too hard, rather than work around the piles of stuff lying around upstairs. I've spent a chunk of this bank holiday weekend trying to tidy up,

Finished Object: Triple Pouch

Good morning! The sun is shining and I know full well the weather is going to turn again this weekend, because it's England, but stuff it, I shall rejoice in the sun, however brief it is! This is actually a Finish Along Finish! Bet you thought there wouldn't be any of those! (I wasn't sure...) This is the Triple Pouch from Aneela Hoey's Stitched Sewing Organisers book. And it's terrifying! But it looks really cool.