Skip to main content

Polly top

This is a top I've made to actually wear somewhere other than LARP events. At work even.

This is a Polly top from By Hand London. I'm fairly sure I'm the last person in the blog world to make this, but hey. We all have to start somewhere right?
 

The pattern is a free PDF pattern that I printed a few weeks ago after I got my new printer, and stuck together while one of my friends swore at his laptop and laughed at my pseudo-gymnastic contortions while I was taping stuff.
I cut a size UK 20 (which is the largest size). I think I could get away with an 18 graded out to a 20 at the hips, as there's a bit of gapage around the arm holes, but I'm lazy, and as it's mostly going to be worn with cardigans, it's not really worth the effort at the moment.

There's not a massive amount to say really. The pattern is for a beginner, and the instructions are really clear to follow. 
The fabric is cheap and cheery polycotton from Minerva at a whole £2.99 per metre. I'm about to go and cut another from some pale blue and some flowery stuff for the insert. That fabric has a bit more drape than this stuff does, so that will either highlight or solve the armhole gaping. This is also slightly more see through than I was expecting.

All in all I really like this, and give it a month and I suspect it will be a wardrobe staple. It's not at the moment as the workshop is still a bit too cold to not be wearing many layers, and I need more cardigans at the moment.
I will definitely be making more of these.  

Comments

Josie said…
It looks great and I can't wait to see lots of makes with the comic strip fabric!
Beth said…
Thanks! :) I'm hoping to get the Batgirl wallet started this month, but I'm fairly busy and have other things higher up the list first :)

Popular posts from this blog

Some random things

    So I'm currently faffing around at work, waiting for a meeting that might not happen and trying no to go mad with the current project I'm working on (pro tip: don't make the English graduate computerise the electrical drawings. bad things happen) My pretty fabric for my post xmas present sewing showed up at work on Friday (when I was off doing xmas shopping in MK) so I didn't get it until today. It's so pretty! And I managed some impressive colour matching given I was working on my not very well calibrated work monitor! This is going to be tucked away until I'm done, so I'm not tempted before I'm done with presents.   I posted the other night about how much I love my seam ripper (there was an issue with squid, which will be covered in a post later when I can get all the photos in the right order, so, when I get home) and someone asked what it was, so I took this to illustrate the point. It sees a fair amount of use, and this weekend

Finish-a-long Quarter 2

Life, being what it is, I never signed up for Quarter 1. I didn't have a huge number of projects on the go, and I was not in a great place. But things are looking up now. And up, and up, if you're looking at the stack of unfinished projects, so without further ago, I present the list of stuff I would like to finish this quarter...

Xmas present 3 - the squid

 This was the big one. The one that was going to the person whose opinion as a crafter I care about, and a person who has had a bit of a rough year. Thankfully, by some miracle, it all came together, although this was NOT without disasters.