Monday, February 16, 2015

Polly top

This is a top I've made to actually wear somewhere other than LARP events. At work even.

This is a Polly top from By Hand London. I'm fairly sure I'm the last person in the blog world to make this, but hey. We all have to start somewhere right?
 

The pattern is a free PDF pattern that I printed a few weeks ago after I got my new printer, and stuck together while one of my friends swore at his laptop and laughed at my pseudo-gymnastic contortions while I was taping stuff.
I cut a size UK 20 (which is the largest size). I think I could get away with an 18 graded out to a 20 at the hips, as there's a bit of gapage around the arm holes, but I'm lazy, and as it's mostly going to be worn with cardigans, it's not really worth the effort at the moment.

There's not a massive amount to say really. The pattern is for a beginner, and the instructions are really clear to follow. 
The fabric is cheap and cheery polycotton from Minerva at a whole £2.99 per metre. I'm about to go and cut another from some pale blue and some flowery stuff for the insert. That fabric has a bit more drape than this stuff does, so that will either highlight or solve the armhole gaping. This is also slightly more see through than I was expecting.

All in all I really like this, and give it a month and I suspect it will be a wardrobe staple. It's not at the moment as the workshop is still a bit too cold to not be wearing many layers, and I need more cardigans at the moment.
I will definitely be making more of these.  

2 comments:

Josie said...

It looks great and I can't wait to see lots of makes with the comic strip fabric!

Beth said...

Thanks! :) I'm hoping to get the Batgirl wallet started this month, but I'm fairly busy and have other things higher up the list first :)