Skip to main content

Larp shirt

Over due post time! And two for the price of one!

Day off today. Headaches and nosebleeds = no desire to be in an overheated office. So I'm having a day of trying to shift headaches and finish some stuff up. I have people coming over next weekend so I need to clear some space.
So, stuff what I've finished of late.

This is the LARP shirt I've been working on for a while (way too long). It's view D of Simplicity 3519, and I would like to say that I am never making this pattern again (unless, possibly, someone pays me).

 

It's not that it's a bad pattern per se. It's just annoying. It uses a shit load of material, and it gives you the most voluminous shirt ever. Which is great if you want a voluminous shirt of poncing. But I didn't. I wanted a bog standard shirt with a bit of interesting gathering.
That gathering is why it uses so much fabric. The two body pieces are about twice as big as they need to be to accommodate all the gathers. The gathers weren't actually too bad to do. Time consuming since I did them by hand, but bearable.
The sleeves are actually where I had the real issue. They're also about three times larger than they need to be, because the expectation is that (for this view) you add elastic to the cuff so that you end up with a tight cuff and a big poofy sleeve. 
This is not something I can deal with. I hate long sleeves for the most part, and tight cuffs are right out. I roll my sleeves up a lot usually, so I ended up taking about half the depth out of the sleeves. This was achieved by putting the shirt on, holding my arm out and shoving a pin where I wanted the cuff to be. I then drew a line from that point to the arm pit, stitched it up and then sewed a normal cuff. It isn't perfect, but it will do.
I'm pretty pleased with the gathers. They do sort of make it poof out a bit too much over my chest, and the fitting at the back is just plain weird, but whatever. 
I didn't interface the collar yoke which the pattern called for, mostly because I couldn't be bothered, but also because I wanted it to be really floppy.

Also, I made this as an attempt to empty out a load of bobbins, so there are all sorts of weird thread colours that don't match the fabric. I'm not overly concerned.

As bog standard shirts for LARP go, this probably isn't too bad. It's  not entirely what I was looking for, and if I made it again, I'd probably extend  the body down a few more inches and use the same sleeve modification, possibly with a button fastening.
I'm not sure if I will make it again. There are a couple of other patterns that have less gathers and more sensible sleeves.

So, yay for actual finished projects.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finished Object - Nudibranch Madness

There is no nudity in this post! Just sea slug awesomeness :D

My first finish for the second quarter of the 2017 Finish-A-Long is my Nudibranch March Mini Madness shawl.

Found here on Ravelry, this was an excellently quick and brainless knit, which I've managed to make obscenely colourful thanks to Mothy and the Squid's excellent nudibranch colourways. I'm trying to make an effort to have a bit more colour in my outfits, and this will brighten up anything I wear!


It has a slight curvature where I bodged the tension adding the second mini skein of yarn, which I also added too early, but otherwise, a pleasing, lazy knit for lunchbreaks and evenings watching TV.
I've been knitting a lot more recently; my sewing room is a mess and getting home in the evenings I just want to flake in front of trashy tv and not think too hard, rather than work around the piles of stuff lying around upstairs.

I've spent a chunk of this bank holiday weekend trying to tidy up, with varying …

Finish Along- Quarter 4

I had one whole finish in Quarter 3. It turns out walking 5 miles every day for 3 months (and extra on weekends) really takes a lot of time and energy.
I made progress on things, but I also had a couple of swaps on the go, and ended up working on random bits and pieces. I also opened up BlueberryBits on etsy, which desperately needs more stock!

I might add photos later, but I'm busy as fuck at the moment with work, so err, it's just a list...

1. Star Wars zip up tray pouch - oh my god I will do this! I swear! I mean I'll probably sell it, but I swear I will!
2. Teal ponte cardigan - it's been moved downstairs so I can actually cut it out.
3. Makers Tote - this is going to be an xmas gift so I REALLY need to get on with it!
4. Pink sparrow Heidi clutch - this is going on etsy, I just need to finish the bloody thing!
5. Hitchhiker take 2 - this is nearly done. It's just been shoved somewhere.
6. Unicorn embroidery pouch - this is pissing me off as the design has rubb…

Finished Object(s): Fold Up Sewing Folios

I have a desperate need for things to be FINISHED. It's a problem. My mental health is shite at the moment thanks to work, which means I'm exhausted by the time I get home, which means I have no time to make things. It's a cycle. The less I make the worse I feel, the more work gets to me.
I took a day yesterday, called in sick and knitted, finished a shawl. Felt better for it and picked up the next half finished thing.

I'm ignoring the pile of sewing that needs doing for a shop update.

On my FAL 2018 post, there is an entry for a Fold Up Sewing Folio by Aneela Hoey. It's got some gorgeous big floral fabric and some grey essex linen.
This is that project, but I decided I didn't like the essex linen and bought something else instead.


I adore this pattern. I really really do.