Skip to main content

Xmas Present 1 - Star Trek cushions


So, one of my friends is a giant Trek geek (this is not saying I'm not, but she's even more of a fan than I am). And she moved house fairly recently, so, when I saw this fabric over at Plush Addict, I thought "yes! cushions!" and then procrastinated for about a month over whether she'd actually like them.
(spoilers: she did)
Anyway, these are really basic envelope cushions with piping round the edges to make them look a bit more fancy. I'll admit I'd never done piping on anything before, but once I found the zipper foot for my sewing machine, it made everything much easier.

The piping was handmade using cord and bias tape.


The cushions are made from a fat quarter of the Trek fabric, and a fat quarter of Kona black quilting cotton. In hindsight I should have had slightly more fabric to do the envelope backs, as they do gape a little, but not so massively that it's a problem.

I made these both in a day when I was off sick with what we're loosely calling flu, but was mostly me being slightly snotty and a lot fed up with one of my co-workers who DID have flu being in the office.
My paste table is my usual cutting and pinning surface, as it's the largest flat surface that isn't the floor. It's not ideal, but this isn't a big house and the spare room is still a dumping ground.
I'm assuming this photo is after I'd sewn the piping to the front and while I was pinning the backs to it all.


This is the first one completed. I apparently didn't take any in progress shots of this one. The cushion pads are from Dunelm.
All I did to make these was measure the cushions, add, I think, an inch (1/2 an inch each way) so that they wouldn't be too fat, and cut the fronts. The backs were cut to the right width and then the fabric was cut in half so that there would be an overlap, then I hemmed the edges. On the second one this went a bit wrong thanks to my sewing machine having a massive sulk over something, so it looks a bit crooked.
The piping was applied to the front piece and sewn together, then the back pieces were pinned in place (kind of fiddly) and sewn together. And voila.
 Here you can see the second one with the piping pinned in place, and the back pieces completed.

And this is after the piping has been sewn on and I'm pinning the back on, trying to keep it level.

All in all these were pretty simple makes. The piping was the fiddliest thing to do I think. I learnt a couple of things about hemming (IRON EVERYTHING) and about my machine (it HATES sewing too close to the edge)

And they went down pretty well, which I'm pretty pleased with :)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finished Object - Nudibranch Madness

There is no nudity in this post! Just sea slug awesomeness :D

My first finish for the second quarter of the 2017 Finish-A-Long is my Nudibranch March Mini Madness shawl.

Found here on Ravelry, this was an excellently quick and brainless knit, which I've managed to make obscenely colourful thanks to Mothy and the Squid's excellent nudibranch colourways. I'm trying to make an effort to have a bit more colour in my outfits, and this will brighten up anything I wear!


It has a slight curvature where I bodged the tension adding the second mini skein of yarn, which I also added too early, but otherwise, a pleasing, lazy knit for lunchbreaks and evenings watching TV.
I've been knitting a lot more recently; my sewing room is a mess and getting home in the evenings I just want to flake in front of trashy tv and not think too hard, rather than work around the piles of stuff lying around upstairs.

I've spent a chunk of this bank holiday weekend trying to tidy up, with varying …

Finish Along- Quarter 4

I had one whole finish in Quarter 3. It turns out walking 5 miles every day for 3 months (and extra on weekends) really takes a lot of time and energy.
I made progress on things, but I also had a couple of swaps on the go, and ended up working on random bits and pieces. I also opened up BlueberryBits on etsy, which desperately needs more stock!

I might add photos later, but I'm busy as fuck at the moment with work, so err, it's just a list...

1. Star Wars zip up tray pouch - oh my god I will do this! I swear! I mean I'll probably sell it, but I swear I will!
2. Teal ponte cardigan - it's been moved downstairs so I can actually cut it out.
3. Makers Tote - this is going to be an xmas gift so I REALLY need to get on with it!
4. Pink sparrow Heidi clutch - this is going on etsy, I just need to finish the bloody thing!
5. Hitchhiker take 2 - this is nearly done. It's just been shoved somewhere.
6. Unicorn embroidery pouch - this is pissing me off as the design has rubb…

Finished Object(s): Fold Up Sewing Folios

I have a desperate need for things to be FINISHED. It's a problem. My mental health is shite at the moment thanks to work, which means I'm exhausted by the time I get home, which means I have no time to make things. It's a cycle. The less I make the worse I feel, the more work gets to me.
I took a day yesterday, called in sick and knitted, finished a shawl. Felt better for it and picked up the next half finished thing.

I'm ignoring the pile of sewing that needs doing for a shop update.

On my FAL 2018 post, there is an entry for a Fold Up Sewing Folio by Aneela Hoey. It's got some gorgeous big floral fabric and some grey essex linen.
This is that project, but I decided I didn't like the essex linen and bought something else instead.


I adore this pattern. I really really do.