Skip to main content

Christmas makings...

November was a bit of a fail. Let's just leave it at that.

Work has been pretty horrific of late, and I'm not getting as much crafting done as I'd like and xmas presents have started to become a pressing issue.

The squid suffered some setbacks last weekend, when it became apparent that the long thin tentacles were going to be problematic to stuff. It turns out (so shockingly) that the fleece has a lot more stretch than the quilting cotton, and so as I was trying to stuff one of them, the cotton started splitting.

No matter. I have plenty of fleece, so the long tentacles will just be all fleece. We'll call it a feature? Maybe?
I've spent the afternoon sewing up the shorter tentacles and the fins. They now need stuffing, and then once the long tentacles are done, assembly can commence.





Other than the squid, the main thing I've been working on is the Fibonacci sequence scarf for R. He knows about (he had to ok the colours, and I work on it during gaming sessions). This is the kind of simple thing that I can work on during my lunch breaks, so it's making fairly good progress.
I'm just over halfway through it now.

And then I realised that I hadn't really bothered to find anything for my step-mum. She's really hard to buy for, so I found some really pretty Araucania merino and thought I'd make her some fingerless gloves. Then I thought that she's not actually a fingerless glove kind of person, so maybe a scarf would be better. So I raided ravelry and found a pretty pattern and started work.
I hate lacework. I'm awful at it. This isn't even that fine, but ugh. I'm fairly sure I'm butchering it.
It does look quite nice though.




And that's about it. I've got a pile of cheap calico intended for a couple of dress muslins, and I have LARP kit that I want to start making, and I have a skirt muslin that I should REALLY do something with, but xmas sadly has to come first.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Some random things

    So I'm currently faffing around at work, waiting for a meeting that might not happen and trying no to go mad with the current project I'm working on (pro tip: don't make the English graduate computerise the electrical drawings. bad things happen) My pretty fabric for my post xmas present sewing showed up at work on Friday (when I was off doing xmas shopping in MK) so I didn't get it until today. It's so pretty! And I managed some impressive colour matching given I was working on my not very well calibrated work monitor! This is going to be tucked away until I'm done, so I'm not tempted before I'm done with presents.   I posted the other night about how much I love my seam ripper (there was an issue with squid, which will be covered in a post later when I can get all the photos in the right order, so, when I get home) and someone asked what it was, so I took this to illustrate the point. It sees a fair amount of use, and this weekend

Finish-a-long Quarter 2

Life, being what it is, I never signed up for Quarter 1. I didn't have a huge number of projects on the go, and I was not in a great place. But things are looking up now. And up, and up, if you're looking at the stack of unfinished projects, so without further ago, I present the list of stuff I would like to finish this quarter...

Xmas present 3 - the squid

 This was the big one. The one that was going to the person whose opinion as a crafter I care about, and a person who has had a bit of a rough year. Thankfully, by some miracle, it all came together, although this was NOT without disasters.