Skip to main content

Finished object: Anchor York Pinafore

I'm doing that thing where I'm ending up with a massive bloody backlog of things which need to be blogged, because I have zero energy to actually write anything bloggable!

Anyway, this is an old make, and it's not actually any part of my Finish Along nonsense, but it's the first bit of clothing I've made in about two years!

I love the whole pinafore dress thing that's been going on for a while. I have a proper corduroy pinafore dress that I bought a year or so ago that I wear to death at work, and have been looking for a pattern that would work for me that I could make for a while.
I'm still thinking about picking up the Cleo from Tilly and the Buttons, but her sizing doesn't always work for me (I'm just outside her sizes on hips and boobs) and most of the other patterns don't have the solid back style that I like.
But while I was umming and ahhing, I came across the York Pinafore from Helen's Closet, and fell in love with the pockets (pockets are my weakness)



Because I'm a lazy shit, it took me a while to print out the pattern and actually get round to making it, but once I did, I've been wearing this version to death, and I swear I'm going to make more, when I'm not drowning in other sewing projects!



The only floor space large enough for fabric cutting is my living room floor, which is usually taken up with cat toys, cat, or a drying rack in the winter. And cat litter, because Jazz is a kicky little bugger!
I bought this chambray from The Village Haberdashery a good few years ago, with the intent of making a skirt or possibly a shirt. I can't remember. I know I pre-washed it before I moved house, and then it's been shoved in drawers and boxes.

I vaguely remember that I cut this flat rather than on the fold, because I couldn't get a straight fold line for love nor money. Thank god for the lizard massive collection, who double as pattern weights!

Jazz, thankfully, kept off the fabric!


This was a gloriously quick sewing job! Like, I'm used to things taking days to put together. I think this came together in about 3 evenings, and the worst part was attaching the binding, and that's just because I was paranoid about it going wonky.

All my inner seams are french seamed because it looks so much neater, and with this pattern it's possible to do it. It just looks so much nicer, and I have less fear of it disintegrating as I wash it.



I cut the largest size, and added about an inch and a half for extra boob space as per the adjustment instructions, which worked perfectly on the low neck version I cut. I'm thinking I might make one with a neckline somewhere between this and the high neck version (which is a bit too high for me) but I'm not sure. I really do like the way this sits.



I'm not likely to ever make the kangaroo pockets, since they tend to accentuate my tum, which doesn't need it, and the hip pockets are perfect and huge and amazing!


This dress has already seen a lot of wear in the three or so months since I made it. Before the weather turned, it was the perfect length to wear without tights, and now that it's cooler, it works with tights or leggings.
It does need a fair bit of ironing after washing, which is a downside, but the fabric is very pretty and feels nice.

I've got some black and white fabric that I'm planning on using for another one, so that I can wear bright coloured tops underneath it, and I'm pondering a plain black one with brightly coloured pockets as well.

Plenty of options and an awesome, well written pattern that was simple to follow and produces a great finished dress.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Some random things

    So I'm currently faffing around at work, waiting for a meeting that might not happen and trying no to go mad with the current project I'm working on (pro tip: don't make the English graduate computerise the electrical drawings. bad things happen) My pretty fabric for my post xmas present sewing showed up at work on Friday (when I was off doing xmas shopping in MK) so I didn't get it until today. It's so pretty! And I managed some impressive colour matching given I was working on my not very well calibrated work monitor! This is going to be tucked away until I'm done, so I'm not tempted before I'm done with presents.   I posted the other night about how much I love my seam ripper (there was an issue with squid, which will be covered in a post later when I can get all the photos in the right order, so, when I get home) and someone asked what it was, so I took this to illustrate the point. It sees a fair amount of use, and this weekend

Finish-a-long Quarter 2

Life, being what it is, I never signed up for Quarter 1. I didn't have a huge number of projects on the go, and I was not in a great place. But things are looking up now. And up, and up, if you're looking at the stack of unfinished projects, so without further ago, I present the list of stuff I would like to finish this quarter...

Xmas present 3 - the squid

 This was the big one. The one that was going to the person whose opinion as a crafter I care about, and a person who has had a bit of a rough year. Thankfully, by some miracle, it all came together, although this was NOT without disasters.