Skip to main content

An actual clothing make! (Sewaholic Hollyburn)

I've got a bunch of stuff that I keep meaning to post, but work is manic and when I'm at home I'm trying to get all of my Christmas making done (lots of making, the obviously I can't blog about yet)

A few weeks ago I finally bit the bullet, cleared off the living room floor and cut out the Sewaholic Hollyburn that has been sat, pattern cut, on my living room table for months. There was an issue with the fabric I was originally going to use, which turned out to have a directional print, which would have been fine but I didn't quite have enough of it, so the pattern languished, as did the fabric I'd bought as a replacement.

The photos are pretty awful, because err, there's me, and I need some kind of tripod like thing for my phone so I can take decent photos (asking my dad to take pictures never ends well; he sulks and they end up with oil tanks or lorries in the background thanks to the work yard)



This is a Sewaholic Hollyburn skirt, which I fell in love with ages ago, and then never got round to actually making. Story of my life.

I'm calling this a wearable muslin, as it's not perfect, and I was checking the sizing.

The fabric is fairly cheap polycotton from Calico Laine, but it has cute stars on it, and I added the cat face buttons to give it a pop of colour. Because they're buttons with a shank, those tabs have real button holes on (I'm impressed with myself, even if no one else is)


I added 5 inches in total to the largest size (I have a fair bit of waist and hip going on) and it fits comfortably. It was an easy enough modification to make, even if I did procrastinate like nobody's business about actually doing it.


I followed the sew-along and french seamed the pockets for extra neatness (and because pockets will always take a beating with me.

My zip insertion (not pictured because taking photos of your own back is hard) is dubious at best, and I've ended up with an exposed zipper with a slightly mangled top, but with a cardigan it looks fine (apart from the white line drawing attention to my arse)

It's not lined, because I didn't have any lining, and the material is thick enough that it isn't see through.

It was in fairly heavy rotation until it got washed and I realised that it was going to need ironing. My ironing board is currently being taken over by the current quilting project, so no ironing is being done and I'm living in stuff that doesn't need ironing.

I will definitely be making at least one more of these (I have some gorgeous midweight chambray with anchors that's washed and waiting for some time) and I'm thinking this might make a good replacement for a costume skirt for one of my LARP characters, so maybe two more.



I think that's about it. Sorry, brain is fried at the moment with Christmas makes, the short dark days and work chaos, so I'm impressed I've actually managed a blog post (I made this about two months ago when I took a day off for my own sanity). There's plenty of xmas making to come, and if you lurk around my instagram you might get some sneak peaks of that (or, if you're one of the people who I'm making for, you'll get SPOILERS and be sad)

I'm trying to decide if I should post the saga of the tie modifications before or after I finish the final version (which is a present) but that can wait until I've had more tea and my brain decides to work.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Some random things

    So I'm currently faffing around at work, waiting for a meeting that might not happen and trying no to go mad with the current project I'm working on (pro tip: don't make the English graduate computerise the electrical drawings. bad things happen) My pretty fabric for my post xmas present sewing showed up at work on Friday (when I was off doing xmas shopping in MK) so I didn't get it until today. It's so pretty! And I managed some impressive colour matching given I was working on my not very well calibrated work monitor! This is going to be tucked away until I'm done, so I'm not tempted before I'm done with presents.   I posted the other night about how much I love my seam ripper (there was an issue with squid, which will be covered in a post later when I can get all the photos in the right order, so, when I get home) and someone asked what it was, so I took this to illustrate the point. It sees a fair amount of use, and this weekend

Xmas present 3 - the squid

 This was the big one. The one that was going to the person whose opinion as a crafter I care about, and a person who has had a bit of a rough year. Thankfully, by some miracle, it all came together, although this was NOT without disasters.

Finish-a-long Quarter 2

Life, being what it is, I never signed up for Quarter 1. I didn't have a huge number of projects on the go, and I was not in a great place. But things are looking up now. And up, and up, if you're looking at the stack of unfinished projects, so without further ago, I present the list of stuff I would like to finish this quarter...