Skip to main content

Wedding kittens!

 

Another overdue blog post. Oops.

My first foray into mini-quilt making which didn't quite go as planned when it ended up being larger than intended.

This was a gift for a couple I know who were celebrating their 5th wedding anniversary, and the 10th anniversary of their meeting (which is terrifying as we were at university together, it can't have been that long ago!)

I didn't have a clue what to get them, as their interests diverge quite a bit from mine, but they both love cats, so I thought a wall hanging quilt with some personality would be a nice thing.

I chose the Kittens Quilt pattern from Elizabeth Hartman, because it was a reasonable sized block, and I might be planning to make myself a kitten quilt with some of the many fat quarters I have stashed :D




I wanted to give them some personality, so her block was done in purple with a bit of a gothy bow (not actually that goth, more pirate, still appropriate) and for his, I wanted to give him a bandana, which he always wears, but there were some issues in making it not look like a pair of knickers on his head, or a martial arts/tennis player headband. Eventually I said screw it and gave him a vaguely underwear looking bandana.

I made star blocks to fit in the other corners (originally I was going to do several smaller stars, but then I got fed up with fiddly things).



I sashed it all and then pondered the back. In the end, I didn't quite have enough black to do a full back, so I made some flying geese with the skull fabric and leftover coloured fabrics to stretch it out.


 
 
I put it all together, and then pondered quilting it. In the end, I stitched in the ditch around the various cats and stars, and the sashing lines. It wasn't brilliant, but I was fairly happy with it. I then bound it using a vaguely beige bias tape.
 


 
 
The couple were really happy with it, but I have a bunch of issues. I had to order two lots of the background fabric, and somehow despite it all being Kona Khaki, I ended up with two different shades. It is only slightly noticeable, but enough that it's annoying. I also wasn't anticipating quite such a beige tone as a khaki.
The binding also annoyed me, but it was the closest match I could find, and the alternative was using black, which looked really off against the pale top piece.
 
Definitely a learning experience, so much ironing, but the up side is that I now have a load of low volume fabrics leftover, many of which are super cute. I also learned how to do flying geese and got lots of practice doing fiddly corner matching.
 
Fabric from Plush Addict, The Village Haberdashery, Threads and Patches and The Fabric Fox.
Wadding from The Village Haberdashery (whose customer service continues to be amazing; package got lost in the post, the replaced it immediately and changed the address it was being sent to so I got it the next day)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finished Object - Nudibranch Madness

There is no nudity in this post! Just sea slug awesomeness :D

My first finish for the second quarter of the 2017 Finish-A-Long is my Nudibranch March Mini Madness shawl.

Found here on Ravelry, this was an excellently quick and brainless knit, which I've managed to make obscenely colourful thanks to Mothy and the Squid's excellent nudibranch colourways. I'm trying to make an effort to have a bit more colour in my outfits, and this will brighten up anything I wear!


It has a slight curvature where I bodged the tension adding the second mini skein of yarn, which I also added too early, but otherwise, a pleasing, lazy knit for lunchbreaks and evenings watching TV.
I've been knitting a lot more recently; my sewing room is a mess and getting home in the evenings I just want to flake in front of trashy tv and not think too hard, rather than work around the piles of stuff lying around upstairs.

I've spent a chunk of this bank holiday weekend trying to tidy up, with varying …

Finish Along- Quarter 4

I had one whole finish in Quarter 3. It turns out walking 5 miles every day for 3 months (and extra on weekends) really takes a lot of time and energy.
I made progress on things, but I also had a couple of swaps on the go, and ended up working on random bits and pieces. I also opened up BlueberryBits on etsy, which desperately needs more stock!

I might add photos later, but I'm busy as fuck at the moment with work, so err, it's just a list...

1. Star Wars zip up tray pouch - oh my god I will do this! I swear! I mean I'll probably sell it, but I swear I will!
2. Teal ponte cardigan - it's been moved downstairs so I can actually cut it out.
3. Makers Tote - this is going to be an xmas gift so I REALLY need to get on with it!
4. Pink sparrow Heidi clutch - this is going on etsy, I just need to finish the bloody thing!
5. Hitchhiker take 2 - this is nearly done. It's just been shoved somewhere.
6. Unicorn embroidery pouch - this is pissing me off as the design has rubb…

Finished Object(s): Fold Up Sewing Folios

I have a desperate need for things to be FINISHED. It's a problem. My mental health is shite at the moment thanks to work, which means I'm exhausted by the time I get home, which means I have no time to make things. It's a cycle. The less I make the worse I feel, the more work gets to me.
I took a day yesterday, called in sick and knitted, finished a shawl. Felt better for it and picked up the next half finished thing.

I'm ignoring the pile of sewing that needs doing for a shop update.

On my FAL 2018 post, there is an entry for a Fold Up Sewing Folio by Aneela Hoey. It's got some gorgeous big floral fabric and some grey essex linen.
This is that project, but I decided I didn't like the essex linen and bought something else instead.


I adore this pattern. I really really do.