Skip to main content

Alder skirt take 2: Mushrooms!

Just ignore me for the most part, I'm tired, irritated with work and trying to sort stuff out for another long weekend in a field.
I'm also broke and payday isn't for another week :(

Anyway, I made another skirt! Did I mention I love this pattern? I do. It's awesome, has pockets and hits my knee just where it should.
One day I might even make a version that isn't made in a novelty quilting cotton.
On the other hand, who doesn't want a skirt covered in tasty tasty fungi?
I haven't really got HUGE amounts to say about this.
It's made from Kona Spice (from Plush Addict) and Lewis & Irene "Fox and Friends Cream Mushroom" (I think from New Forest Fabrics, but I bought it ages ago so could be wrong).
I fell in lust with the fabric months ago, and was waiting to find the perfect pattern. Thankfully, the Alder wandered across my eyeline.

Action shot pre-hemming. Somehow I managed to rock the pattern placement for that pocket (the other one isn't as good)

Pockets are a necessity in my life, I'm unlikely to make the uber-pocket version of this skirt as I suspect it would accentuate my hips a bit TOO much, but the normal ones are plenty big enough to fit stuff.

I had intended to make the version without the pleat, as the previous one sat a bit weirdly, but due to some hijinks in lining stuff up, I was on course to end up with a wonky waistband, so I shoved a tiny pleat in as I was sewing. It's not wonderfully neat, but it isn't massively visible either, so I'm not going to cry lots.

I still hate elastic insertion. I also think I should probably cut a smaller waistband, as I end up using far less elastic than the pattern suggests for the size I've cut.

So, awesome skirt, I just need some tops to wear with it now, as not a lot that I have really goes (most of my tops are black or horribly vibrant colours that do not match. I suspect that should be something I look into soon.

Next up is a quick test of the SBCC Tonic Tee pattern using some cheap and nasty jersey. I also have some amazingly cheap remnant jersey from the market that I think I shall use to make a Moneta toile.
And I need to get on with dress making for Odyssey, which is in about a month. I have a couple of patterns I want to try, but the Curvy Sewing Collective post on maxi dresses highlighted a couple of others that could be modified pretty well to work.
I also need to pre-wash all the fabric. Ugh. When I get back from Empire...

(I also slipped and purchased Coletterie's Aster pattern this morning, as it's basically the button down I've been dreaming of, so that will get printed and cut at some point soon (hopefully))




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finished Object - Nudibranch Madness

There is no nudity in this post! Just sea slug awesomeness :D

My first finish for the second quarter of the 2017 Finish-A-Long is my Nudibranch March Mini Madness shawl.

Found here on Ravelry, this was an excellently quick and brainless knit, which I've managed to make obscenely colourful thanks to Mothy and the Squid's excellent nudibranch colourways. I'm trying to make an effort to have a bit more colour in my outfits, and this will brighten up anything I wear!


It has a slight curvature where I bodged the tension adding the second mini skein of yarn, which I also added too early, but otherwise, a pleasing, lazy knit for lunchbreaks and evenings watching TV.
I've been knitting a lot more recently; my sewing room is a mess and getting home in the evenings I just want to flake in front of trashy tv and not think too hard, rather than work around the piles of stuff lying around upstairs.

I've spent a chunk of this bank holiday weekend trying to tidy up, with varying …

Finish Along- Quarter 4

I had one whole finish in Quarter 3. It turns out walking 5 miles every day for 3 months (and extra on weekends) really takes a lot of time and energy.
I made progress on things, but I also had a couple of swaps on the go, and ended up working on random bits and pieces. I also opened up BlueberryBits on etsy, which desperately needs more stock!

I might add photos later, but I'm busy as fuck at the moment with work, so err, it's just a list...

1. Star Wars zip up tray pouch - oh my god I will do this! I swear! I mean I'll probably sell it, but I swear I will!
2. Teal ponte cardigan - it's been moved downstairs so I can actually cut it out.
3. Makers Tote - this is going to be an xmas gift so I REALLY need to get on with it!
4. Pink sparrow Heidi clutch - this is going on etsy, I just need to finish the bloody thing!
5. Hitchhiker take 2 - this is nearly done. It's just been shoved somewhere.
6. Unicorn embroidery pouch - this is pissing me off as the design has rubb…

Finished Object(s): Fold Up Sewing Folios

I have a desperate need for things to be FINISHED. It's a problem. My mental health is shite at the moment thanks to work, which means I'm exhausted by the time I get home, which means I have no time to make things. It's a cycle. The less I make the worse I feel, the more work gets to me.
I took a day yesterday, called in sick and knitted, finished a shawl. Felt better for it and picked up the next half finished thing.

I'm ignoring the pile of sewing that needs doing for a shop update.

On my FAL 2018 post, there is an entry for a Fold Up Sewing Folio by Aneela Hoey. It's got some gorgeous big floral fabric and some grey essex linen.
This is that project, but I decided I didn't like the essex linen and bought something else instead.


I adore this pattern. I really really do.