Skip to main content

Finished object: Sapphire Cushion

Shall we blog? Probably ought to.

Life is honestly not great at the moment; work is horrendous and my mental health is taking a bashing as a result. As well as the general fall down of looking after myself and my house, it means I'm not crafting as much. Especially not stuff like sewing that means I have to move from the couch to the sewing room, and focus.
I'm doing a fair bit of brainless knitting, and that's about it.


But before this all went to shit, I did manage another finish on my QAL list!
My bff R's birthday was back in May, but if you know me, you know that I'm incapable of finishing anything on time, so really, an August gift was pretty early! He's the reason I LARP, and one of his characters has some pretty strong ties with blue dragons, so... a blue dragon cushion!

This is a pretty simple make.

The geometric dragon pattern from Quietplay is excellent, as ever, and even though I fucked up one tiny piece, it still looks really good! (I put background where it should have been neck, but it just looks like a slightly slimmer necked dragon, so it's all fine)
You'd have thought that this would have made a dent in my blue scraps, but no, they're still there, judging me!

The dragon is literally whatever I pulled from the piles of blue scraps and fabric, the background is Alison Glass Sunprint from 2016, which I'm running out of! The border is Alison Glass Chroma, which I have a few tiny scraps of left, and the backing is Dear Stella


I think I've got my cushion cover construction method in the bag these days. It gives a good, solid cover that will resist a fair amount of wear and tear, and it's pretty quick to put together.
Firstly I quilt the front (assuming I want it quilted) using the thinnest wadding I have and some plain cotton to protect the inside.It doesn't necessarily look pretty, but it's neat and gives it some body. If I'm not quilting it, I just use a layer of the cotton as a lining to stop any piecing seams getting damaged.
Once the front is done, I measure it, then cut two pieces of outer fabric, and two pieces of the same cotton as I used on the front piece.
These measure width x (1/2 height +3 inches) so that there's some overlap to stop the cushion showing through (especially as I use quite chunky cushions).
I sew the top and lining fabrics together right side to right side along one long edge, turn wrong side to wrong side, iron, and top stitch along the seam. This gives a neat finish.
Then I sew it all together.
With the front piece lying right side up, place the backs so that they are overlapping, and the piece that attaches to the top of the cushion is UNDERNEATH the piece that attaches to the bottom (I learnt this the hard way!)
Sew your seam all the way round, trim the corners and turn right side out!

None of this is rocket science, and is probably cribbed from multiple other tutorials, but it's what works for me.


My phone managed to make the front seem amazingly neon; it wasn't, but apparently bright natural light + my phone being a dick = neon blue!
I quilted a fairly rough outline of the dragon, and then a 1/4 line either side of the border seam; nothing fancy, but enough to make the dragon pop.


And then I left it out for him to find when he came and cat sat for me, and he loved it! And the cats he lives with apparently also like it!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Some random things

    So I'm currently faffing around at work, waiting for a meeting that might not happen and trying no to go mad with the current project I'm working on (pro tip: don't make the English graduate computerise the electrical drawings. bad things happen) My pretty fabric for my post xmas present sewing showed up at work on Friday (when I was off doing xmas shopping in MK) so I didn't get it until today. It's so pretty! And I managed some impressive colour matching given I was working on my not very well calibrated work monitor! This is going to be tucked away until I'm done, so I'm not tempted before I'm done with presents.   I posted the other night about how much I love my seam ripper (there was an issue with squid, which will be covered in a post later when I can get all the photos in the right order, so, when I get home) and someone asked what it was, so I took this to illustrate the point. It sees a fair amount of use, and this weekend

Finish-a-long Quarter 2

Life, being what it is, I never signed up for Quarter 1. I didn't have a huge number of projects on the go, and I was not in a great place. But things are looking up now. And up, and up, if you're looking at the stack of unfinished projects, so without further ago, I present the list of stuff I would like to finish this quarter...

Xmas present 3 - the squid

 This was the big one. The one that was going to the person whose opinion as a crafter I care about, and a person who has had a bit of a rough year. Thankfully, by some miracle, it all came together, although this was NOT without disasters.