Skip to main content

Finished Object: Mossy Astra Gloves


This is the last of my FALQ1 catch up blogs! I'm exhausted, so this is probably going to be a short one unless I start rambling!

These are Astra Mitts, pattern by Ambah O'Brien, part of the Astra set of hat (made over xmas), mitts and cowl (yet to be cast on)
The yarn is DK in Towpath (green) and Cairn (grey) from RiverKnits, whose yarns are gorgeous.




I knitted the medium size, which was a surprise as I have tiny hands! They fit nicely, and I think the tight bind off is more to do with my knitting than the actual pattern. When I make these again for me (which is likely as they're great) I will probably reduce the number of rows knitted after the thumb hole, as they're a little bit long on my fingers. I might also reduce the number of rows on the thumb, as again it's a bit long.
These were knitted up using HiyaHiya 9 inch circulars, which make glove knitting SO MUCH EASIER than using DPNs. I hate DPNs so much, especially when there are more than a few stitches on them.
The pattern is well written, and looks lovely. My colour choices are perhaps a little more subtle than needed, as the grey and green blend together, but I really like the way that they look.
They're also delightfully squishy.
I did make the fatal mistake of putting them down for a couple of weeks while I finished something else, so when I came back to them, I did manage to make a mistake and carry the yarn in front for one row, which is why one glove has a slightly weird ridge just below the thumb! I don't mind mistakes like that, they give a project some character!



I've never actually knitted gloves with a separate thumb, so this was a little bit terrifying. I was so proud of myself getting the stitches onto the needles at lunchtime and knitting the thumb, only to realise I'd gone the wrong way round, and so knitted it inside out! I had to frog it and reknit the thumb, but thankfully it didn't take very long, and hey, I learned an important lesson!

I knitted the second glove in about a week, which is a way better record than the last pair of gloves I made which took over a year!


You can see here the ridge where I proved incapable of reading a pattern! I was going to repeat it on the other glove, but couldn't work out exactly which row I'd done it on.



Even the inside is pretty! I really do love the Towpath colourway, and I kind of wish it wasn't hidden quite so much in with the grey (which has hints of green in it so they do blend nicely)



They're done a bit late in the year for them to see a lot of use, but they'll come out again in the autumn, of that I have no doubt! And they might get pulled out for Empire in a couple of weeks.
I've had one person say they'd like a pair, and I did forget their birthday, so if I can work out what colours they'd like, I might do them a pair.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Some random things

    So I'm currently faffing around at work, waiting for a meeting that might not happen and trying no to go mad with the current project I'm working on (pro tip: don't make the English graduate computerise the electrical drawings. bad things happen) My pretty fabric for my post xmas present sewing showed up at work on Friday (when I was off doing xmas shopping in MK) so I didn't get it until today. It's so pretty! And I managed some impressive colour matching given I was working on my not very well calibrated work monitor! This is going to be tucked away until I'm done, so I'm not tempted before I'm done with presents.   I posted the other night about how much I love my seam ripper (there was an issue with squid, which will be covered in a post later when I can get all the photos in the right order, so, when I get home) and someone asked what it was, so I took this to illustrate the point. It sees a fair amount of use, and this weekend

Finish-a-long Quarter 2

Life, being what it is, I never signed up for Quarter 1. I didn't have a huge number of projects on the go, and I was not in a great place. But things are looking up now. And up, and up, if you're looking at the stack of unfinished projects, so without further ago, I present the list of stuff I would like to finish this quarter...

Xmas present 3 - the squid

 This was the big one. The one that was going to the person whose opinion as a crafter I care about, and a person who has had a bit of a rough year. Thankfully, by some miracle, it all came together, although this was NOT without disasters.