Skip to main content

Batty about bats!

I've got to that annoying point where I've ended up with LOADS of stuff I feel I should blog, and no enthusiasm or time to actually blog them.
But, since I am trying to keep track of these things, and since some of them are Finish-Along projects, I should probably get my arse in gear.

So... first off, some xmas catch up!

First project was a plushie bat. I love bats, most of my friends do, and my bff's housemate/landlady has recently had a bit of a time of it. So while she's not someone I'd usually gift to, I found her a really cool gothy print, and made her a bat.





The pattern is a freebie from Choly Knight who has loads of really cute chibi patterns both free and for sale.
I had some dark grey/black micro fleece lying around from another (unfinished) project, and there were just enough minky scraps from backing a quilt last year to do the inner ears a darker fabric. Felt is a staple lying around, and I also always have toy filling (I bought WAY too much a couple of years ago, and will never be done with it!)

The first thing to do (once all the pieces were cut) was to applique the facial features onto the face. I'm generally awful at delicate machine stitching, so I went into this with no small amount of terror, but it actually went amazingly easily, and came out looking really good!





There's quite a lot of not fiddly, but careful placement steps, and with the ears and the wings, and the detailing on the wings is potentially a little bit fiddly; I had to play with the tension on my machine to stop it chewing the fabric up!

Overall though, this is a really nice pattern. It's well written, well designed, and comes together really quickly. From cutting to finishing the hand stitching, I think this only took me an afternoon.
In hindsight I would have stuffed it a bit more, as the body is quite floppy, but it's cute :D
I suspect there might be more in my future!


(Behold how much of a mess my sewing room was in the run up to christmas!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Some random things

    So I'm currently faffing around at work, waiting for a meeting that might not happen and trying no to go mad with the current project I'm working on (pro tip: don't make the English graduate computerise the electrical drawings. bad things happen) My pretty fabric for my post xmas present sewing showed up at work on Friday (when I was off doing xmas shopping in MK) so I didn't get it until today. It's so pretty! And I managed some impressive colour matching given I was working on my not very well calibrated work monitor! This is going to be tucked away until I'm done, so I'm not tempted before I'm done with presents.   I posted the other night about how much I love my seam ripper (there was an issue with squid, which will be covered in a post later when I can get all the photos in the right order, so, when I get home) and someone asked what it was, so I took this to illustrate the point. It sees a fair amount of use, and this weekend

Finish-a-long Quarter 2

Life, being what it is, I never signed up for Quarter 1. I didn't have a huge number of projects on the go, and I was not in a great place. But things are looking up now. And up, and up, if you're looking at the stack of unfinished projects, so without further ago, I present the list of stuff I would like to finish this quarter...

Xmas present 3 - the squid

 This was the big one. The one that was going to the person whose opinion as a crafter I care about, and a person who has had a bit of a rough year. Thankfully, by some miracle, it all came together, although this was NOT without disasters.