Skip to main content

Finished object: goth dragon

I just want to hibernate. Do you have those days? I do, a lot (thanks depression). I'm upping my vitamin D intake and cranking up the sunlight lamp, but it takes a lot longer for me to get going in the mornings this time of year.
I feel like I never have enough time for anything at the moment either. I get up, I work, I go home, I do not enough crafting and then go to bed to repeat it all again the next day.
I'm slogging through a couple of commissions at the moment that aren't quite catching my attention the way that they should be. They're slow and complicated and more than my tired brain can handle in the evenings. But they're getting there.

Before I get to the good stuff, I have a wee cheeky favour to ask... if you enjoy this inane rambling, could you throw a couple of quid at my ko-fi? I had to buy a new washing machine and new glasses last month, and that kind of ate through any spare money I had, and then some. (alternatively, go have a peruse of my shop, or hit me up if you're interested in a commission)

Anyway, you care about the crafting, right?
Here's a dragon!



This is annoying the only photo I have of it completed, because I'm an idiot, and it was done on a pretty tight deadline.




This is another Choly Knight floppy dragon plush. I freaking love this pattern!
I was rummaging through my sewing room looking for something, and found the piece of black fleece that I was certain I had, but apparently had put aside for some reason and went "yay! I can make a goth dragon" to which R immediately went "can I pre-emptively buy it?" which was mildly annoying because I wanted to put it in the shop, but also yay, money, and it was for a good cause.

So I had 2 weeks to make it, as it had to be done in time for MCM where he was meeting up with someone he hadn't seen in 20 years or so.
And then I got distracted and ended up sewing it in about three evenings!



This is the standard body with the fire dragon wings, the earth dragon eyes and ears and the water dragon horns.
I swear the longest part of this make is cutting it all out; the piles above don't include the facial markings which are done out of felt!


Here they are, cut and fused to double sided interfacing, which doesn't like adhering to fleece, so the embroidery part of this was entertaining!



Contrary to the instructions (mostly because I wasn't in the mood for machine applique) I did all the fiddly body bits first. I actually found getting them out the way and done got me moving a lot faster than working on the head first.
Doing the feet in fleece was a pain in the bum though.
I also managed to attach the wings the wrong way up. They were meant to be black with the purple underneath, but I'm an idiot and was tired when I was sewing, so they were purple on top. No one seemed to mind though!

Sewing this in fleece was not the greatest, I have to admit, although it has actually come out looking pretty good. It was just a bit more fiddly as the seams were a bit bulkier, and the fleece had more stretch than the minky normally does.


I did the head in an evening, embroidery and all, and I've got to say, despite not having a grey thread suitable for the eyes or the spots, it actually came out really neatly using the black. Goth dragon all the way!


I got it all stuffed and ready for the last bits of the hand sewing on the Thursday evening, ready to be handed over on the Friday. And I finally found a way of getting the poly beans into the legs without them going everywhere... my iron water flask! It's not perfect, but it's pretty good and didn't make a mess!


And then it came into work with me to be hand sewn at lunchtime! And then it was done.

And that's about all I have to say about it! Quick project, and the first of my quarter 4 finishes!









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Some random things

    So I'm currently faffing around at work, waiting for a meeting that might not happen and trying no to go mad with the current project I'm working on (pro tip: don't make the English graduate computerise the electrical drawings. bad things happen) My pretty fabric for my post xmas present sewing showed up at work on Friday (when I was off doing xmas shopping in MK) so I didn't get it until today. It's so pretty! And I managed some impressive colour matching given I was working on my not very well calibrated work monitor! This is going to be tucked away until I'm done, so I'm not tempted before I'm done with presents.   I posted the other night about how much I love my seam ripper (there was an issue with squid, which will be covered in a post later when I can get all the photos in the right order, so, when I get home) and someone asked what it was, so I took this to illustrate the point. It sees a fair amount of use, and this weekend

Finished Object - Nudibranch Madness

There is no nudity in this post! Just sea slug awesomeness :D My first finish for the second quarter of the 2017 Finish-A-Long is my Nudibranch March Mini Madness shawl. Found here on Ravelry , this was an excellently quick and brainless knit, which I've managed to make obscenely colourful thanks to Mothy and the Squid's excellent nudibranch colourways. I'm trying to make an effort to have a bit more colour in my outfits, and this will brighten up anything I wear! It has a slight curvature where I bodged the tension adding the second mini skein of yarn, which I also added too early, but otherwise, a pleasing, lazy knit for lunchbreaks and evenings watching TV. I've been knitting a lot more recently; my sewing room is a mess and getting home in the evenings I just want to flake in front of trashy tv and not think too hard, rather than work around the piles of stuff lying around upstairs. I've spent a chunk of this bank holiday weekend trying to tidy up,

Finished Object: Triple Pouch

Good morning! The sun is shining and I know full well the weather is going to turn again this weekend, because it's England, but stuff it, I shall rejoice in the sun, however brief it is! This is actually a Finish Along Finish! Bet you thought there wouldn't be any of those! (I wasn't sure...) This is the Triple Pouch from Aneela Hoey's Stitched Sewing Organisers book. And it's terrifying! But it looks really cool.